Monday, 14 April 2014

There is no cutlery in LA

So after four -yes four - painful flights, and so many time zones I'm still not sure which one I'm on, I have finally made it to Los Angeles. My first day here was a blur, largely revolving around sleep, however I did meet my delightful roommate. I can happily say that - so far - no bizarre habits or traits have come up, unlike many of the scary roommate tales I have heard. 
Day two was slightly more productive, I didn't have time to make it to the heavenly shop that is Wholefoods however I did meet some lovely new people and take a trip to Trader Joes, as well as CVS and some other stores.
 
Why does nowhere in LA sell cutlery???
 
Living in a hotel room is not going to be easy, but I've tried to buy as many thinks as possible to make life easier so cutlery was high on the list. It took two taxi rides and the biggest Target I've ever seen to actually find some of the last household bits I needed.
 
Also on my purchase list was my beautiful new baby - my hyroflask.  
As terrifying as a 1.8L hyroflask looks, I believe this will likely become my new best friend at Teacher Training. Not only does t keep my water cold - which I am totally not used to - it is such a good size for class and I can't imagine I'm ever going to run out of water.
 
Official Day 1 starts today, a lecture with Bikram and class at five. Have had such beautiful speeches yesterday from the staff, Rajashree and several other senior teachers, I feel calmer knowing everyone has been through this experience, and nobody does in perfectly.
 
LA loves so far:
 
Plantain chips - these are delicious! I can only find the in one store in Perth but every Traders here sells them.
 
Selma Hayak Nuance walnut scrub - Got this on sale at CVS, absolutely lovely and smells fantastic.
 
Hummus - I have never been a massive fan of hummus, but coming here and having proper, unprocessed hummus - turns out it is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment